Saturday, September 10, 2011

Perspective

It's weekends like this that I find myself grateful to have a bit of perspective. Now, I'm not perfect, very far from it. But one thing that I think this year has taught me is a lesson in perspective. And at times, this lesson has enraged me when I see or hear of others who lack it.

Sometimes it's the simple, little, what-was-intended-to-be-innocent-or-a-joke comments that just get under my skin and make me boil. Most of the time, it is things that have to do with babies or children. Comments that lack appreciation for these little blessings. "My day was ruined by my kid(s) because...fill in the blank". Really, it was ruined. I doubt it. You want to know what ruined really means? It means they aren't even here to nag you, to annoy you, to throw a temper tantrum, to dirty a diaper when it wasn't convenient for you.

I was on my run this morning (10 miles, I might add - back in the double digit club finally!) and thinking a lot about perspective. I think what triggered it was watching news coverage last night about the 10th anniversary of September 11. Every year I watch the coverage, and every year I'm moved and brought to tears. But something about watching it last night, after all that we've been through this year, moved me even more. Stories of families who lost their loved ones, or who nearly lost them and now live with disabilities and emotional scars. Something so very unexpected. Even the invincible, the "it could never happen to me", were touched by this tragedy.

I still vividly remember where I was on 9/11 as I'm sure many recall. I was in pharmacy school at Ferris, a morning of a three-ish hour lab. I came out of lab and was eating honey roasted peanuts (freakish that I remember what I was eating, none-the-less that they were honey roasted) talking with a friend when another friend approached us and filled us in on what had occurred. It was about 11am and we hadn't heard any of the news yet. We quickly joined our other classmates in the large lecture hall where the faculty were projecting news coverage on the big screen.

At the time, I didn't have cable in my apartment (poor college student) and I barely could get two, fuzzy local channels. 9/11 caused me to order cable so that I could watch the news coverage for the months to follow. I remember the coverage being addicting. Glued to our televisions. And going home that weekend and just sobbing with my family. We did not know anyone who was affected personally, but it still felt very personal.

So, on my run, I was recalling 9/11, thinking of Grace and Mark who frequently are on my mind when I'm running (and when I'm not running). Thinking of other friends and family who are going through personal struggles with death and illness. Gosh, there has been a lot of tragedy lately. And no one asks for this. But it is encouraging to see that many come out of these terrible situations with a whole new look on life. A greater appreciation for all that they do still have. Some perspective. Watching the news coverage last night, there were lots of stories of how people have triumphed after loss. I hope that can be me some day. With time I suppose.

And I do have to add that I don't spend too much time getting "down in the dumps" about other people's comments that lack appreciation. For every one unappreciative comment, I hear five really good ones. Stories of how what we have been through has influenced others to have more appreciation for their families and children. That's one thing I hope can come from all of this - that people will have a keener understanding for how precious life is...and just roll with it when things aren't perfect.

Okay, done ranting for now. Thanks for listening.

1 comments:

JJuell said...

You always seem to "hit the nail on the head" ... thanks for your posts ... they make me smile ... and I promise you will one day some out stronger, like you said, with time.